Thursday, February 5, 2009

Usernames and passwords in Word

One of the best things I have ever done to keep track of all those usernames and passwords is to store them in a Word document. Now I am sure there is some IT security expert who will tell me how easy it is to hack into my computer, but honestly, there is so little there it would hardly be worth it and it is the lesser of all of the evils!

I know you are supposed to remember all the usernames and passwords, but I do not have a great brain. Who can remember all of that?? I even try to stick to just one or two usernames and passwords and still, I have a hard time remembering them all. If nothing else, I forget where all I have registered online and where I have not – yet! So many sites now require you to be registered to do anything, even read it!

So, like I said, I know it is not foolproof, but it is safer than some on the alternatives! I keep all my passwords and usernames and list of sites for which they are used in a Word document on my desktop. If I wanted to be really fancy, I would call it something else, (a trick!) so no one would know what it is, but I figure if someone really wants to get my information, they are going to get it, no matter what I call it, so I do not even bother to do that.

There are online sites that store them all for you now, but honestly, that seems to me like more of a pain. I know you can get to them from anywhere and all that jazz, but even with the best security, I do not want my information “out there”, if you know what I mean. I am not a freak about security, but that just seems really unsafe, even to me.

No comments: