Friday, March 6, 2009

EASY Turkey

This is not a recipe per se, but cooking a turkey in those plastic bags that you cook the bird *in* are TO DIE FOR and so easy. If you do not have a plan for the actual bird yet, pick a box of these up at the store. They come 2 or 3 bags to a box and, like I said, are SO easy! I know that many of you have found this out already.

Simply empty out the bird (and many people forget to do this, so PLEASE don’t) and then follow the instructions on the box based on the size of your turkey. They juice stays inside the bag and bastes the bird, the skin gets some color, and it turns out perfect for me every time. (Those juices make the BEST gravy, but that is another story!)

Now, if you love the skin (and I do – DH and I FIGHT over it every year) you might want to lose the top of the bag or even the whole bag for the last 30-60 minutes of cooking so the skin can really get crisp. (Taking the turkey out of the bag is tricky unless you have 4 hands, so an extra body might be helpful here unless you are a freak or have figured out a trick I have not yet.) But I know some people do not care about the skin. And although that boggles my mind, if that is the case in your house, you can leave it in the bag the whole time!

No comments: