Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cookie Monster Cupcakes

As I have mentioned before, I am only allowed to bake about once a week so we don’t get HUGE and today was the day. I saw some Cookie Monster Cupcakes on the web and decided to give it a try with items I could get at my local grocery store, AKA Wal-Mart Supercenter.

They turned out OK (and they taste great!) but there are a few changes I will make next time.

First of all, I baked the cupcakes. Since this was an experiment, I used the boxed white cake mix, but the Wal-Mart brand, because I did not want to put a lot of effort into that part.

I love the idea of cupcakes, but every time I have made them the frosting has been really time-consuming, so I do not make them nearly as much as I want to!
So after the cupcakes were baked and cooled, I put on vanilla frosting, blue sprinkles or jimmys (depending upon your part of the country) and the frosting gives them something to stick to. They were completely covered in blue sprinkles. (No picture because they are not what I would like them to be, but if you do a google image search on cookie monster and cupcake, you will see what it should look like!). Then I did medium dots of white frosting for the eyeballs and put the black frosting both up and down, so it looked like googly eyes.

This was the part I was not that pleased with and the reason I would do it differently again. The eyes did not turn out great. One of the images said that they used the white decorator disks from Wilton that you are supposed to melt and then put chocolate chips as the eyeballs. I will do that next time because I tried to do it with frosting and it did not work out. Also, it was really hard to find black frosting, but they did have black cookie frosting for Halloween. It was runnier than I wanted.

After they eyes, I did half a Chips Ahoy cookie where the mouth should be. It does look pretty good, but again, I wanted the eyes to be better.

No comments: