Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Peppermint Bark

On Saturday night, for my weekly dessert, I made Peppermint Bark. It was DEE-LISH!

Let me start by saying that my middle son invited a friend over for dinner, so he was there for dinner and dessert. I also made dinner, but it was homemade pizza with a homemade crust, which I have done a hundred times, so that was no biggie.

The peppermint bark was amazing and SO easy!

Ingredients:
Almond Bark (fake white chocolate)
Peppermint candies (I usually use the candy canes from the tree, but that is just me…)

Process:
Melt the almond bark in the microwave. The time necessary will depend on how much you want to make. I think I had a 2 pound package and it took like 2 minutes. Crush up the candy into tiny pieces. This is where a kid, and rolling pin, and some anger come in handy. I put the candy into a quart zip-top bag and went to town with a meat tenderizer, but anything heavy would work: a frying pan, a rolling pin, whatever. Then you add the candy to the bark. If I had peppermint extract, I would also have added that here, but I did not, so it is not necessary. After they are well-mixed, I poured it out onto a wax-paper-lined rimmed baking dish (although the wax paper was my own laziness not wanting to clean up…) spread it out, and put the whole thing in the fridge to harden. It could not be easier! When it hardened, I broke it up, like peanut brittle, and it was ready to eat. The kids thought it was so fun to pulverize the candy and break up the bark when it was done. And when it is ready to eat, you cannot eat a very big piece, because it is SO RICH!

No comments: