Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Cookies - Part 1

I am planning to make Christmas goodies every Tuesday and Thursday until Christmas this year and I started this past week.

So on Tuesday, I made peanut brittle with the kids. I tried a new recipe and it was OK, but not great. I have a great recipe that I usually use, but it requires stirring constantly for almost an hour. So when I saw this one, which did not require stirring constantly, I thought I would give it a try. Since it was easier, but not as yummy. I am either going to keep looking for a good recipe or go back to the one I love that is a LOT of work.

But I also made gingerbread men last night and they turned out amazing! I did not plan to decorate them since it was a new recipe. I also did not make a double batch, which I wanted to do, because I wanted to make sure they were good first. So I think I am going to make them again before the holidays and also use the recipe for gingerbread houses, which my middle son is dying for.

I used the recipe from Taste of Home’s special little booklet on Christmas cookies and candy. I looked all over on their website and could not find the recipe. But it was on page 7 of the little booklet, or also found here on the web and it turned out great! I like my cookies on the soft side, so when it said “cook for 8-10 minutes” I cooked it for 8 minutes, then let it cool on the pan for 2 (during which time it kept cooking a little bit) and then moved them to a rack to cool the rest of the way. In fact, I think I am going to go eat one right now!

No comments: